Saturday 2 May 2009

Asda: Cheap is good

Smile - ASDA's rolling back more prices from Razorfish UK on Vimeo.

So I mentioned the other day that I'm surprised how few brands are actually asking how they can help people in this recession. Not saying x% off, or 'buy some get more free', but actually asking what they can do to help. I know that this is mostly because brands are just as short of cash as people this year, and marketing folk are the ones whose budgets are at the sharp end of that shortage. Still, if your positioning is all about 'cheaper' then brand image advertising must be a challenge, but the alternative has always looked like Ryanair

Which is why I love this Asda home movie by Razorfish London - it looks genuinely like a spoof, and it absolutely nails Asda's whole positioning in a very meta 'advertising about advertising' kind of way.

Whether I would have seen it if I hadn't been reading Razorfish's marketing director David Deal's blog, I don't know. I'm probably not Asda's 'target audience'. But I can't see it on YouTube, so I'm guessing that this is a campaign that is still to hit TV

0 comments:

Post a Comment